Here is the CMT Uptime check phrase

Deaweh Benson

• What made you join Racism Lab and how has it contributed to your research?Deaweh Benson
    • I am so glad that alum, Dr. Asya Harrison, encouraged me to join RacismLab! I have learned so much from the breadth of ideas, methodologies, and overall creativity in RacismLab talks and events. As a member, my process of reading broadly to avoid being siloed in my academic discipline of psychology has been affirmed. I’ve wrestled with perspectives on racism in a variety of fields ranging from sociology to poetry. Overall, RacismLab has strengthened my capacity for conducting interdisciplinary research on racism and health among Black youth. 
  • A large component of Racism Lab has involved sharing our work to receive feedback and input from one another, what did this aspect of Racism Lab do for you as a scholar, overall?
    • I presented an early draft of a research proposal for a project on Black adolescent brain functioning to RacismLab–and it was no easy task. RacismLab postdoctoral fellows and faculty members offer substantive feedback to student members. Their feedback advised me to be mindful of my language and citational practices to avoid perpetuating the cycles of racism I intend to disrupt. Again, this experience was no easy task–but I am a far better scholar after receiving such critical feedback.
  • What is your current project or area of research? Please share what you’re most excited to be working on.
    • I am currently working on my dissertation proposal! The working draft of my proposal centers on health and healing among Black adolescents and young adults in the context of racism and deadly gun violence. I am especially grateful to be a part of RacismLab as I develop my ideas throughout the dissertation process.